Sunday, November 11, 2012

Survey Questions


I. Overview of Research Paper

Within the seven weeks given for us to search about our topic, I've collected adequate number of information that I myself had never know about my topic. My topic, homework, is a very common issue that is discussed  by students. But since there are lots of obvious facts on homework. This research paper will focus on the reasons why the negative effects observed on students were very evident.

So far, I've finished the first part of my research paper. The first chapter where the introduction of my research is shown. With regard to the articles and data I've gathered, I've already searched about the misconceptions about homework, what are the different adverse effect of homework besides insufficient presence of academical benefits (e.g. Family conflicts, stress, disinterest in learning..), purpose of homework, some substitutes on homework, and some explanations why homework doesn't meet it's said purposes.

 The next part of my research process is the distribution of survey questionnaires to my chosen respondents. And to find more information to support my studies. Also, continue to search about the data I've already gathered because there are still unclear and unanswered parts in my study.

II. Survey Questions.


1. Do you like having homework? (Put a check mark on your answer.)   ___YES.   ___NO. 

  •  Why or Why not?                                                   ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This particular question is important for it will tell if Filipino students like homework or not. In this question, the respondents will state their reasons on why they have that perspective towards homework. This is a huge part on my research 'cause it will be the basis of the effects and the different assumptions of Filipino students on homework.

2. From 1-10 (10 as the most difficult), rate the following types of homework according to its difficulty.


              __ Reading Assignments (e.g. Essays, short stories, book report..)
              __ Written Activities/ Exercises (e.g. Math problems, science activities..)
              __ Research (e.g. defintion of terms)
              __ Group Assignments
              __ Individual Assignments

Finding out which type of homework students find difficult will show how students struggles on doing the most common types assigned by teachers. Also, this question will show what type of homework they most preferred to have. Knowing these factors will help me to know how "type of homework" affects Filipino students.



3. How much time do you spend on doing all your homework? (Put a check on your answer.)

                __ 0 minutes/hours (I don't do my homework at all)
                __ 10 minutes - 30 minutes
                __ 40 minutes - 60 minutes
                __ 1 hour - 4 hours
                __ more than 5 hours

It is important to know how much time an average student spends in doing homework for it will be foundation on why the said effects of homework were evident on students (according to research too much time were being allocated in doing homework results to much adverse effect on students). It can somehow show why students tends to see homework as a stressing task and other negative connotations on the matter. This question can also strengthen my findings if the result  of this survey question will have the save outcome as on the foreign conducted studies I've found. 

4. Is homework helping you on your lessons? (Put a check mark on your answer.) __ YES. __ NO.

  •  Why or Why not?                                               ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
To know the point of view of Filipino students towards homework, if it is either beneficial or not. Foreign research shows that according to students it's not beneficial a all. But these findings are not automatically applicable in a local basis, so this question will verify if the same results will also be observed.

5. Have you ever experienced not finishing or not doing your homework?  __ YES. __NO. (If yes, state the reasons why)
  • Why?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This question will answer the question "Why students tends to have negative attitude towards homework?" which is a very important part of my research. This survey question will also show other factors why homework is not effective.

6. What suggestions can you give on how to improve the "homework system" or (if you're not in favor with homework) substitutes to homework that you can recommend?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This question is a very essential part of my study for this will show what (Filipino) students wants for their own beneficial. If what improvements can they suggest as what they can observed to what homework gives them. In this part, they can also recommend other alternatives on homework that will be more effective than the usual homework.

III. Prediction


With these six(6) survey questions. I chose two(2) questions and these are predicted answers from my respondents. My answers will be based from the information I've already gathered from foreign studies and research.


4. Is homework helping you on your lessons? (Put a check mark on your answer.) __ YES. ✓ NO.

  •  Why or Why not?    
            In sometimes, it does help but most of the time it does not because of a number of reasons. Like I've already learn enough about the topic and the I think the homework is not that necessary already. Another is that there are too much homework or sometimes it's too hard that no one on our home does know it and it just ending me up too tired physically and mentally. Not only I am stressed but also my family members because it sometimes creates conflict around us.

(This answer is what I'm predicting to have. First, it has been my experienced and all other people that I known -- friends, classmates, siblings. Also, it is what is stated in most of the research done in the other countries which I'm assuming can be also true to Filipino students regardless of cultural differences.)                               

5. Have you ever experienced not finishing or not doing your homework? ✓ YES. __NO. (If yes, state the reasons why)
  • Why?
       Because there are too much homework assigned to do for the day and there are other more things I need to do for the day. The 24 hours of the seemed to be not enough and I already have to sacrifice my time to rest just to finish as much homework as I can but there would be times that I can't finish it anymore because I'm too tired already.

(This answer is what I'm expecting the most. Based on my current research this is the commonly stated reason why students can't or don't do there homework. Work overload.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment